Wednesday 12 May 2010

Edinburgh and ageing

It's been a couple of weeks since I wrote my last blog, in that time I have now turned 37 and also managed a brief holiday to the Lake District.

As part of my midlife crisis I registered to do the Edinburgh marathon (again I was sitting in a bar when I thought this was a good idea). As some background a group of 6 people that I work with registered for and completed the Coventry half marathon last year and this seemed like a good way for me to get a good level of fitness for Kili, the training had been going quite well for the half marathon and I had also always wanted to run a marathon (not that I am overly fit, I just wanted to be able to say to people when I am older and potentially grosssly overweight and unfit looking that I had once managed to run a marathon) so registering seemed like a good idea. Shortly after registering for the marathon (and 2 months before the half marathon) I got injured and couldn't run, I was still ok to play badminton and squash so thought I would be ok to just run the marathon with some strapping on my knee, unfortunately this aggravated it further and I couldn't train properly for the marathon until the end of January.
Since then though training has gone quite well and here I am now with a couple of weeks till Edinburgh and I am up to running 16 miles, only 10.2 miles left after that to walk then....

My kit situation has improved though! I purchased a 140 Litre North Face Base Camp Duffle bag which is big enough for me to fit in (probably, I didn't try, yet.......). Also bought a new pair of socks that are thinner than the other ones for general use, unfortunately they are still quite warm even in the British weather so I need to find a very thin pair. Still not sure of what to do with my boots......

In the company I work we have a birthday club with 8 members where for each birthday the other 7 people have to make a gift for the person whose birthday it is. With a marathon coming up in 18 days I got a huge birthday cake, some muffins, some coffee buns and some cornflake cakes, thanks everyone for your consideration for my health and fitness. I am working my way through these cakes though, perhaps the extra layer of fat will help keep me warm on the summit of Kilimanjaro.......

No comments:

Post a Comment