Saturday 8 May 2010

How fit you think you are?

That's a question I've been asking myself for last few weeks/months. It started to pop into my head after a small walk in Malvern Hills we made in February this year. With all the running, playing squash and occasional swimming, I would have expected to be fairly fit, but this trip showed me differently. I didn't even dare to think about comparing this with Kilimanjaro and what it's going to feel like there if one of these small hills made me puffing like an asthmatic oldie.

So what do I do now?
First, survive the marathon. It's in 2 weeks' time and requires most of my (and Paul's too as this is his first one!) attention now. It is also a painful reminder that the training wasn't going as well as it could have with bad weather (snow & ice in January), persistent cold (beginning of March) and various knees/hips/back injuries annoying my life. My current preparations are therefore mainly the mental ones (visualising the very cold pint of beer at some point after crossing the finish line!)

Then, start hiking properly. We've already planned a few hiking trips but is that going to be enough? Am I going to be strong enough? It's not as simple as I refuse to join the gym (again), which seems to be a major budget enemy. The memories of waiting for the machines (sometimes still sweaty from the previous user), cancelled classes when I was really looking forward to attend them and sometimes not even being able to get a free locker are not encouraging either. So how do I make my body stronger and fitter?

I tried Wii Fit. It's a good laugh and I was very entertained and motivated until the very cute balance board told me my fitness age was 56!!! Still I will give it another chance to change its mind :).

However, the answer to my fitness question is: Self Challenge. It's a fitness program developed by a women's magazine Self (www.self.com) which provides a structured fitness plan including workout routines, healthy recipes, food & workout diary and general fitness information. It also gives you options to lose weight (not really interested in this), get stronger (yay, need that for Kili) or get toned (yay, need that for Zazibar)and based on that you personalise your program. And why I am telling you this? Because I hope you will nag me and ask me about the progress as that's the only way I will be able to stick to a program like that... :-D

Fingers crossed, I am going to do my first workout...!

2 comments:

  1. OK Darina - so tell me about progress as far as fitness is concerned. Best thing you can do is have good leg strength, a good core, and then the VO2 stuff speaks for itself. I am hopeless at self-motivation, but for Kili you just have to do it. So do you want me to nag you??? I am very happy to do it because I want you to enjoy Kilimanjaro - that is what it is all about. You can do it.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Chris :) I managed a few strength workouts this week plus some jogging and squash and badminton.
    Good core, I know, but core exercises are so boring! I remember your experience with testing VO2, I think I'd rather run the marathon twice than try that :)))
    I am looking forward to climb Kili very much, it's 127 days to go, that doesn't seem like too much time to get that those lazy legs in shape!

    ReplyDelete