Thursday 16 September 2010

1 sleep ahead...

So what do you do one night before your big departure? :-)

Trying to get some sleep but it's very difficult as there are so many things going on through your head. Do I have everything? Is it going to be enough? Is the rucksack too heavy? Will I wake up on time? Do I have enough Imodium tablets? Will I need them? Is it going to rain? Did I finish what I needed at work? And so on, and so on.

This last few days flew by so fast. And today! While still managed to do plenty of work, I also talked to my Mum, emailed Dad & my dear cousin Iva, printed out our boarding passes (yay!!!), I mixed and packed dried fruits & nuts for our energy needs, finished packing the Camelbak, coloured my hair (purely because if I didn't, I would come back grey from Africa!!!), charged all my mobile phones (I am taking four of them so I don't need to worry about charging battery and taking adapter), talked to my Czech friend living in Coventry, got many best wishes from various people, got very excited talking about Africa, got really scared talking about Africa, got a postcard from friend Will from Wales (very cute, thank you, Will!!!), got a call from my chiropractor checking on my hip and wishing all the best, felt stupidly silly about leaving my small but cosy room and about missing my bed... The mixture of feelings currently happening in my body is beyond describing.

Somebody asked me today what I was going to do when I get to the top of Kili. I wasn't sure. It occurred to me that maybe sit down and cry of joy would be a good idea but then crying in such a cold temperature is probably not the best idea :-) and the guide probably won't let me sit down either. So let's see what happens!

So now, just a few hours before getting up again (at 3 am), I am sitting here and sipping my last glass of wine and thinking about all the people who've been there and made it and thinking about the people who've been there and couldn't make it and thinking about the people whom we hopefully help by raising money for our charity. We've currently raised £1719 and I would like to thank everybody who contributed for their very generous help!

Ok, time to go to bed. Big adventure ahead but before then there is Dutch cheese and beer awaiting us tomorrow too :-) Bring on Amsterdam!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment